EU Nationals applying for a Norwegian Work Permit

Norwegian Work Permit



An EU/EEA/EFTA national is allowed to work and stay in Norway for up to 3 months without having to apply for a residence permit. This starts from the day he enters Norway. They also don’t need to apply for a residence permit. If one plans to stay for more than three months, then they must register themselves with the Police or at a Service Center for Foreign Workers.

They will be required to present a valid ID card or passport. It is also important to provide the Norwegian authorities of your postal address. If you plan to stay for more than 6 consecutive months, you should also register your move. This rule also applies to any family members of EU/EEA/EFTA nationals who also belong to EU member countries. For certain members of the family who are not EU citizens, they should provide a valid passport and documents that prove they are in fact members of your family and are financially supported by you.

Who are considered to be Immediate Family Members:

  1. Spouse: no obligations or legal requirements towards accommodation or any kind of financial support
  2. Cohabitant: both must be at least 18 years and should have lived together for the last 2 years
  3. Cohabitant expecting child
  4. Children/Grandchildren under 21 years age: no obligations toward accommodation or any other kind of financial help
  5. Children/Grandchildren over 21 year’s age: they should be supported by you.
  6. Parents/Grand Parents: they should be supported by you.
  7. Persons who will get married in Norway: with a citizen of an EU/EEA member country and has a residence permit

Visa Fees

Children, spouses, and dependents of any EU/EEA nationals are not required to pay any visa fees. Any fee that you may have had to pay initially will be eventually refunded once you provide documents or evidence that may help prove your association with the EU national.

Learn more about Norwegian Work Permit Here

Leave a Reply

Notify of